Friday, April 5, 2019

Standing Alone? (A SOAP Journal from 2 Timothy 4)

In addition to regular articles, I will once again be posting highlights of some simple SOAP journals that were produced during a regular gathering of pastors to journal, pray, and encourage one another. These are not exhaustively studied as they are generally the work of 20 minutes of reading, 20 minutes of writing, and 20 minutes of sharing with each other what we have written. These brief devotional journal posts will begin in the Pastoral Epistles (1 & 2 Timothy, Titus). Hopefully, they will be encouraging to the readers of this blog.

We used the simple SOAP acronym as a devotional guide... which stands for:
  • Scripture—what verse or short section caught my attention today? 
  • Observation—what can I briefly notice that the passage specifically says?
  • Application—what will I do differently as a result of having read this today?
  • Prayer—what will I ask the Triune God to do for, in, and through me today?
S = 2 Timothy 4:16-18
“At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me.
May it not be charged against them! 
                                     But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, 
   …So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. 
The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed 
                 and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. 
  To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.”

O = Paul knew what it meant to be alone surrounded by enemies. On this occasion, all had deserted him just as the disciples had done to Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. Paul, following the Lord’s example, forgave those who had abandoned him as Jesus had done before him. Paul also realized that even in being deserted, he was not really alone for Jesus came and stood by him. Paul was spiritually strengthened by his presence in a way that reflects the psalmist’s declaration in Psalm 23:4,

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
     your rod and your staff,
     they comfort me.”

Paul had experienced “rescue” from, or through, the trials which he faced and also had great faith that he would continue to experience deliverance as certainly Jesus would bring him into the heavenly kingdom and would ultimately be the One to recognize and reward Paul for his faith (v.8). This doesn’t mean that he would avoid suffering and loss (see 2 Cor. 11 for an amazing list of what he suffered), but that such circumstances would not have the final word. He consistently dealt with hardship either by seeing it as purposeful or (when obvious purpose could not be seen) by putting it into the perspective of eternity.
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

A = I need to look to Jesus to be my defender, my rescuer, my strength, even when everyone else stops supporting me at the very moment that I think I really need them. I need to make sure that I am not deserting others when it becomes inconvenient for me to remain or when I no longer see how I can benefit from another. Relationships in Christ are not to be selfishly broken...we were meant to journey and minister together. 
Photo by Tobias Mrzyk on Unsplash
This week I need to more consistently function in forgiveness towards others who fail me and in faith towards my God who never does. I need eyes of faith to see the Lord’s presence and power at work on my behalf! He's got this, even (especially) when I don't!

P = O Lord, let me stand for you and stand by others more than I stand up for my own rights. My heart is to serve you in gratitude for the crown of righteousness that you alone provide! May I not be consumed by bitterness or frustration as I navigate this life but freely extend forgiveness to others as you have forgiven me. Fill my heart with gratitude when I perceive you at work and open my eyes regularly to see it! Please bring me safely into your heavenly kingdom for there is no place I would rather be since you have planted a bit of your kingdom in my heart. To you Lord, as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, be the glory forever and ever! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In fostering an encouraging place for pastors, we will not post comments that are not respectful and loving (even in disagreement). Pastors get enough of that after church on Sunday and in board meetings. So we will not be going there.

Your comments will appear once they have been moderated.